Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Power of Work

"Aspire to live a tranquil life, mind your own affairs and work with your own hands." - 1 Thess. 4:11

I have a job - a couple in fact! I've even submitted invoices, but that's far less important that feeling useful and using God's gifts.

When we made the move to Germany, I knew working would be tough. I am lucky to work for a wonderful organization full of great people at home (Volunteers of America), and they said they would keep sending some writing/editing work my way even after we moved. For the most part though, I have been unemployed as I waded through the various tax and legal implications of attempting to work here.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says this, "Unemployment almost always wounds its victim's dignity and threatens the equilibrium of his life." (2436)  I get it. For months, I didn't quite feel like me. And my husband can vouch for the last part of that paragraph: "Besides the harm done to him personally, it entails many risks for his family." In my case, that's random meltdowns and far more stress than a person should have when they are not working (and don't need to financially).

My work has never been about making money or becoming important. For the 15 years of my working life, my careers have been about serving the community as a journalist and in the nonprofit sector. To me, it was always a calling and a ministry. Being at home left me with an acute sense of being disconnected from my community and indeed from my faith.

The Catechism backs me up: "Work honors the Creator's gifts and the talents received from him. ... In work, the person exercises and fulfills in part the potential inscribed in his nature." (2427-8) So, if I am no longer using my talents in the way God has led me, what am I doing? What is my purpose?

Yes, I am taking care of my husband and our daughter. Those are critical, life giving parts of my vocation. But they are parts. God did not give me the talent or drive to entertain a preschooler all day or keep a perfect house. It has taken me a while to come to terms with that, and I regularly ask myself if I am making excuses -- but that is a post for another day.

I do know without a doubt God wants me to tell His story through the lives of our brothers and sisters. Thanks to technology, wonderful contacts and some new opportunities I am able to continue.

The last several months also gave me an appreciation for those who, for whatever reason, are not working. At Volunteers of America, work of some kind is a critical part of treatment plans for people with disabilities and Veterans. Work has power. Through it we create and contribute to our world.

May God bless all who labor and those who are seeking to use his gifts in service to their families and communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment